This is a site dedicated to the Libertines and their offspring. News, interviews, reviews, articles, pictures, videos and exclusives right here from the troubled world of the Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty Things (and, why not, Yeti).

8/14/2008

Carl on his projects

The Dirty Pretty Things frontman and ex-Libertines member talks about his new group, Amy Winehouse and why he’ll never find Daisy Lowe sexy.

You’ve just come out of hospital after suffering pancreatitis. Are you better?
Yeah, I’ve got a much clearer head, especially as I’m not drinking. I’m looking forward to getting on with stuff.

How difficult has it been to steer clear of booze?
Pretty easy really. I keep changing the date of when I can drink again. I keep bringing it forward and then pushing it back. I’ve got another month or so.

You’re acting as a mentor for unsigned bands looking to open the V Festival in the Road To V contest.
Why? Well, they said they’d pay me! No, I think this is better than things such as Pop Idol, because it throws you into the public eye. Some of the bands are amazing.

Your new group is The Chavs [with Tim Burgess of The Charlatans, Martin Duffy of Primal Scream and Razorlight’s Andy Burrows]. How’s it going?
We’ll record an album at the end of the year. We’re really excited. I don’t know what’s going to come out of it but we’re going to do it like we mean it!

How does working with them differ to working with Dirty Pretty Things or The Libertines?
It’s pretty different. The idea is to try things that we wouldn’t normally do. It’s a different dynamic, they’re different types of people – I hope it’s nothing like working with The Libertines!

Will there ever be a reunion of The Libertines?
Not at the minute. Maybe one day. I haven’t spoken to Pete recently – I went to that sea shanties gig at the Barbican but he didn’t turn up. I’m sure he’d be up for a reunion one day, but we’ll have to see.

What do you think of all the attention he attracts?
He’s normally on top of his game and seems to know what he’s doing – obviously if it’s bad, it’s not good.

And you’re mates with Amy Winehouse. Any advice for her?
Not really. I do feel very sad for her, but people take their own path really.

You’re friends with Pearl Lowe – what do you think of Daisy’s modelling career?
I’ve known Daisy since she was 14, so looking at her like that would be wrong! When she was younger she’d wake up and we’d still be there in her house from the night before.

Are she and Mark Ronson a good couple?
Yeah. They certainly seem very much in love. I’ll give them that.

No comments: