This is a site dedicated to the Libertines and their offspring. News, interviews, reviews, articles, pictures, videos and exclusives right here from the troubled world of the Babyshambles and Dirty Pretty Things (and, why not, Yeti).

5/07/2008

Carl, Adrian and Maybelline

Carl talks to the NME about the soundtrack of his life (thanks a lot to Karen for typing the interview):

My guilty pleasure...
“Greatest Hits” - Queen. “I need to make it absolutely clear that I’m not referring to volume two of the “Greatest Hits”, which has some 80’s monstrosities on it. I guess it’s uncool now because of Brian May and his musical ("We Will Rock You"). Have I seen it? What do you think?!”
Everyone should hear...
“The Moldy Peaches” - The Moldy Peaches. “I see this record as a rite of passage - it opened my eyes when The Libertines were first starting out. It’s the pinnacle of cut’n’paste music - melody, innocence, tunes. It brings music to life: sometimes it sounds like The Velvet Underground, sometimes like an ‘80s block party”.
A record by a hero is...
“Transformer” - Lou Reed. “Lou Reed is a hero because he wasn’t very good looking and dressed like a girl but it didn’t matter. I fast-forward that silly bit, “Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday...” . Any song that lists the days of the week pisses me off”.
I wish I’d made...
“Definitely Maybe” - Oasis. “Every tune is flawless, I’ve yet to hear an argument against it. I first heard it on the radio - it was the third single, “Live Forever” - and I instantly went, “I want to do this”. It cut through all the dross with a flaming sword and is the record that made me buy a guitar”.
Right now I’m loving...
“Time To Pretend” - MGMT. “I’ve been travelling around a lot recently, and this record pricks my ears up wherever I go. It’s really hip right now, of course, but I’m loving it. With all the recent stuff with Klaxons and all that, this seems to be another leap forward. They’re so unique-sounding”.
I’ve played to death...
“Rage Against The Machine” - Rage Against The Machine. “I heard it when I wsa 14 and still know every word. My mate Paul from school had it on the bus on a French exchange. We were all getting into our teenage angst and hating our parents, but my rage waned after their second album”.
The LP that’s made the biggest impression...
“The Doors” - The Doors. “Weirdly, I discovered this around the same time I was listening to Rage. When I listened to it in my bedroom I found myself forming my own entire world. I’d sit at home with joss sticks, playing it over and over again. The record suggested to me that there were options - I could have my own individuality. Back then, none of my friends were into The Doors or even knew about them at all, so it really felt like my thing. I guess it helped me form an identity - I was wearing red jeans while everyone else was listening to the Wu-Tang Clan”.
The song that makes me emotional...
“Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)” - David Bowie. “This used to scare the shit out of me when I was about three, strapped into the back seat of our car. I used to get the heebie-jeebies then but I’m getting a bit better now. I’ve got so many early memories - but people don’t usually believe me when I talk about them. We had a hire car and my mum told me this song was about scary monsters. It was on repeat, and I remember clutching the car door in fright. But if I heard it in a club now, I’d just think that the DJ was a bit lame”.
"And I also think you should...”
See…
The Orphanage. “It’s by Guillermo del Toro, who did Pan’s Labyrinth. I’ve never been so scared as I was watching this - it’s a thinking man’s scary movie, but it’s a love story too. Some films make you feel chilly, but this sent shivers down my spine”.
Buy…
The Wire boxset. “I bought this in America recently. I’ll be honest, I haven’t watched any of it yet. I bought it because everyone said it was good. I think you’ve got to go with that sometimes - have a bit of trust and go for a punt on things. That’s up next for me”.
Carry…
Moleskine pocket notebook. “I always carry one with me to note down song ideas, phrases and observations of friends’ personalities that I don’t want them to know about. The thing is, I always lose them when they’re half full and worry that people will find them and think that the stuff in them is rubbish”.

Adrian... that's a funny bloke, he posted a lot of beautiful photos (on Flickr) of Peter and himself taken outside Peter's house in Marlborough (the Albion Towers), and after a few hours he withdrew them all because... just because. Or maybe there's a reason he cannot spread around. Cough. I managed to save them and after watching them under the microscope I uncovered the secret.... oooooohhhhh.
Kidding.
Anyway, since Adrian don't want to see the photos published, I'm not publishing them. OK?


Adam Ficek said he went to see Pizza yesterday and they wrote something together.


And Peter has re-posted the old "I'll kill him" video on his Youtube channel adding a new soundtrack, which is Maybelline.


That's all for now folks. Au revoir.

No comments: